Introducing our Irresistible Cheesy Bacon Mashed Potato Casserole!
Are you ready to take your love for mashed potatoes to the next level?
Get ready to elevate this classic comfort food to new heights of deliciousness!
Say hello to our Cheesy Casserole – a mouthwatering symphony of creamy, dreamy mashed potatoes, velvety sour cream, and a medley of flavors that will have your taste buds dancing with delight.
We’re taking these velvety mashed potatoes to a whole new level with a generous sprinkling of sharp cheddar cheese, lovingly melted to oozy perfection.
Every mouthful will be a delightful explosion of cheesy goodness that will leave you longing for just one more bite.
And if that’s not enough to make your heart skip a beat, wait until you experience the pièce de résistance – the tantalizing topping.
Picture golden-brown panko breadcrumbs, crispy bacon bits, and vibrant chives, all mingling together with a shower of extra cheddar cheese.
This irresistible mixture of textures and flavors will transform your simple mashed potatoes into a show-stopping casserole that is sure to steal the spotlight at any gathering or family dinner.
So, whether you’re hosting a holiday feast, a casual weeknight dinner, or just craving some comforting indulgence, our Cheesy Bacon Mashed Potato Casserole is the ultimate way to turn an everyday side dish into the star of the show.
Try it out for yourself, and watch as the Cheesy Bacon Mashed Potato Casserole becomes a beloved staple in your kitchen.
The Best Homemade Mashed Potato Casserole
As I prepared the Cheesy Bacon Mashed Potato Casserole, memories of my beloved grandmother flooded back.
Cooking together in her kitchen, she shared the secret to perfect mashed potatoes – a sprinkle of love and patience.
Now, every time I make this dish, I feel her presence guiding me.
Food has a remarkable power to create lasting memories, and I hope this casserole brings joy to your family gatherings too.
What You’ll Need
(See the recipe card below for full ingredient list with quantities & instructions)
- Russet potatoes
- Sour cream
- Garlic powder
- Cheddar cheese
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole
Prepare the Potatoes:
- Peel the russet potatoes and cut them into chunks.
- Rinse the potato chunks under cold water to remove excess starch.
Cook the Potatoes:
- In a large pot, place the potato chunks and add enough water to cover them completely.
- Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook the potatoes until they are tender when pierced with a fork (approximately 15-20 minutes).
Mash the Potatoes:
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and return them to the pot.
- Add 5 tablespoons of butter to the cooked potatoes.
- Use a potato masher or a hand mixer to mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in the sour cream, milk, garlic powder, and salt.
- Continue mixing until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Stir in ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese until it melts and blends into the mashed potatoes.
Preheat and Grease:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Grease a baking dish with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.
Assemble the Casserole:
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to the greased baking dish, spreading them out evenly.
Prepare the Topping:
- In a small bowl, combine the Panko breadcrumbs, chopped chives, crumbled bacon, and ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture over the mashed potatoes in the baking dish.
- Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown, and the potatoes are heated through.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve the Cheesy Bacon Mashed Potato Casserole as a delicious and comforting side dish, complementing any main course or holiday meal.
Make Ahead Casserole
Not only is this potato casserole delicious, but this one-pot dish can also be prepared ahead of time, making it the ultimate stress-free addition to your menu.
Simply assemble the casserole as directed, cover and refrigerate it until you’re ready to bake.
Then, when needed, simply place the dish in the preheated oven and bake until golden brown and bubbling.
Storage and Reheating Tips
Keep any leftover Cheesy Bacon Mashed Potato Casserole fresh by transferring it into an airtight container or tightly covering the baking dish with foil. Refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
To rekindle that irresistible flavor, reheat the casserole using one of these methods:
- Oven Method: Preheat to 350°F (175°C). Cover the casserole with foil and heat for 20-25 minutes until warmed through.
- Microwave Method: Place portions on a microwave-safe plate, cover, and heat in 1-minute intervals until thoroughly warmed.
– Avoid multiple reheating to maintain the texture.
– For a moist finish, add a splash of milk or vegetable broth if needed before serving.
Now you can enjoy your Cheesy Bacon Mashed Potato Casserole all over again without any hassle!
Variations for Mashed Potato Casserole
With gluten-free, vegetarian, low-calorie, and vegan variations available, this casserole is a crowd-pleaser for everyone.
Gluten-Free Mashed Potato Casserole Variation:
For a gluten-free twist, use gluten-free Panko or crushed gluten-free crackers. Keep all other ingredients gluten-free for a delightful casserole everyone can enjoy!
Vegetarian Mashed Potato Casserole Twist:
Go vegetarian by omitting bacon and adding sautéed mushrooms or caramelized onions for extra flavor.
Low-Calorie Mashed Potato Casserole Option:
Lighten up with less butter, light sour cream, low-fat milk, and reduced cheese for a guilt-free indulgence.
Vegan Mashed Potato Casserole Delight
For a vegan version, use vegan butter, plant-based sour cream, and almond or oat milk. Top it off with vegan cheese for a creamy and bacon-free treat!
Other Casserole Recipes to Try!
This Mashed Potato Casserole recipe ensures you enjoy the ultimate comfort food with a gourmet twist. This dish is easy to prepare and versatile enough to pair with a variety of main courses.
Whether it's a casual dinner or a festive gathering, our Mashed Potato Casserole is designed to impress your guests and satisfy your comfort food cravings.
- 3 pounds russet potatoes
- 7 tbsp butter, divided (5 tbsp for the mashed potatoes, 1 tbsp for the topping, 1 tbsp for greasing)
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (½ cup for the mashed potatoes, ½ cup for the topping)
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- 5 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Boil peeled and chopped potatoes until tender, then drain.
- Mash potatoes with 5 tbsp butter, sour cream, milk, garlic powder, and ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a baking dish with 1 tbsp butter.
- Spread mashed potatoes in the dish evenly.
- Mix panko, chives, crumbled bacon, and ½ cup shredded cheddar for the topping.
- Sprinkle the topping over the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and heated through.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 347Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 55mgSodium 494mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 11g