Today, I’m excited to share with you a delightful Sweet Potato and Sausage Casserole recipe that’s perfect comfort food for any family dinner or even a hearty breakfast casserole.
Not only is this dish delicious, but it’s also a budget meal that won’t break the bank.
Plus, it’s an easy recipe that even the most novice of cooks can master.
Whether you’re planning a cozy weekend brunch, a mid-week dinner surprise, or even a potluck contribution, this casserole is your go-to dish.
So, if you’re looking for an easy dish that’s both tasty and wallet-friendly, look no further!
Why This Casserole Recipe is a Must-Try
Discover the ultimate comfort food with our Sweet Potato and Sausage Casserole, a standout among casserole recipes.
Perfect as a family-friendly recipe for weeknight dinners or brunch ideas, this sweet potato dish shines as a nutritious meal.
As a one-dish meal, it’s ideal for fall recipes and winter comfort dishes.
Whether you’re seeking ground sausage recipes or quick bake recipes for potluck favorites, this hearty casserole is sure to become one of your go-to oven-baked casseroles.
- Budget-Friendly: High-quality meals don’t always need to be expensive. This easy recipe uses simple, affordable ingredients, making it a top choice for those looking to eat well on a budget.wallet.
- Easy Recipe: Even if you’re new to the kitchen, this recipe is straightforward and hassle-free. With clear steps and common ingredients, you’ll have a delicious dish ready in no time.
- Versatile: Perfect for any meal – be it a hearty breakfast, a satisfying lunch, or a comforting dinner. Its adaptability also makes it a great choice for gatherings, potlucks, or family dinners.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Casserole with Sausage
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: A culinary staple, it adds depth and richness, enhancing the dish’s overall flavor profile.
- Sweet Potatoes: Their natural sweetness balances the savory elements, while their creamy texture contrasts with the meatiness of the sausage.
- Onion: A foundational aromatic, onions add a savory touch, deepening the dish’s flavors.
- Garlic: With its zesty kick, garlic elevates the dish’s aromatic profile, pairing well with the sausage’s richness.
- Red Bell Peppers: They introduce a crunchy texture and mild sweetness, adding visual appeal with their vibrant color.
- Ground Italian Sausage: Seasoned and hearty, the sausage infuses the dish with a robust flavor, making it a satisfying meal.
How to Make Sweet Potato and Sausage Casserole
- Preparation: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Sweet Potatoes: In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced sweet potatoes and cook until they start to soften, about 8-10 minutes.
- Veggies: Push the sweet potatoes to one side of the skillet and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir in the diced onions, minced garlic, and red bell peppers. Sauté until the onions become translucent and the peppers soften, about 5 minutes.
- Sausage Time: Add the ground Italian sausage to the skillet. Break it apart with a spatula and cook until it’s browned and cooked through.
- Mix and Bake: Once everything is cooked, give it a good stir to mix all the ingredients together. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and spread it out evenly. Pop it into the preheated oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the top starts to get a golden-brown hue.
- Serve and Enjoy: Once baked, remove from the oven and let it sit for a few minutes. Serve it hot, and enjoy the burst of flavors!
Variations to This Sweet Potato Casserole
Spicy Kick: Add some crushed red pepper flakes or diced jalapeños to the mix for a spicy version.
Cheesy Delight: Sprinkle some grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese on top before baking for a cheesy twist.
Veggie Boost: Incorporate additional vegetables like zucchini, mushrooms, or spinach for added nutrition.
Vegan Version: Substitute the Italian sausage with vegan sausage or crumbled tofu seasoned with Italian herbs. Use a plant-based oil instead of olive oil if desired.
Breakfast Boost: Add some scrambled eggs or diced tomatoes to the mix to make it even more breakfast-friendly.
For Sweet Potato Lovers
If this casserole has you craving more sweet potato delights, we’ve got you covered.
Dive into the creamy goodness of our Mashed Sweet Potatoes – a perfect side for any meal.
If you have a sweet tooth, our Candied Sweet Potatoes are a dessert-like treat that’s sure to impress.
And for a festive twist, why not try our Sweet Potato Stuffing? It’s a flavorful addition to any holiday table!
Storage and Reheating
Refrigeration: Store the casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Freezing: If you want to freeze the casserole, let it cool completely. Wrap it tightly in aluminum foil and then place it in a freezer-safe bag or container. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Reheating: For best results, thaw the frozen casserole in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) until warmed through, about 20-25 minutes.
Sweet Potato Casserole FAQ
Can I use a different type of sausage?
Absolutely! Feel free to substitute the Italian sausage with chorizo, turkey sausage, or any other favorite.
I’m not a fan of bell peppers. Can I omit them?
Of course. You can either omit them or replace them with another vegetable of your choice.
Can this casserole be made ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the casserole a day in advance. Store it in the refrigerator and bake it just before serving.
Is this casserole gluten-free?
The ingredients listed are naturally gluten-free. However, if you’re using store-bought sausage, always check the label to ensure it doesn’t contain any gluten-containing fillers.
How can I make this dish lower in fat?
Opt for a leaner sausage variety or consider using half the amount of sausage and replacing it with more vegetables or beans.
Other Sweet Potato Recipes to Try!
Discover the perfect blend of savory and sweet with this Sweet Potato and Sausage Casserole.
An easy recipe ideal for family dinners or hearty breakfasts, this budget-friendly dish is a versatile culinary delight.
Dive into its rich flavors and enjoy a satisfying meal in just under 1 hour.
- 4 tb extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup diced red bell peppers
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- Preheat Oven: Set to 375°F (190°C).
- Sauté Sweet Potatoes: In a skillet, heat 2 tb olive oil. Add sweet potatoes; cook until slightly soft.
- Add Veggies: Push potatoes aside; add remaining oil, onions, garlic, and bell peppers. Sauté until onions are translucent.
- Brown Sausage: Mix in sausage, breaking it apart. Cook until browned.
- Combine & Bake: Transfer mixture to a baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden-brown.
- Serve: Let cool slightly, then serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 422Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 23gCholesterol 43mgSodium 590mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 3gSugar 8gProtein 16g