Zucchini Casserole with Ground Beef is the ultimate definition of a hearty casserole.
Combining the lush, tender textures of zucchini with the rich, savory flavors of ground beef, this easy hamburger casserole recipe perfect for weeknights becomes an instant favorite.
It’s not just a family dinner essential; it’s also an inviting side dish for a potluck or gathering.
And for parents out there, it’s a genius way to persuade kids to eat their vegetables!
The beauty of a hearty casserole is that it brings warmth, comfort, and a burst of flavor in every bite.
If you’re on the lookout for meal prep ideas that simplify their weekly routines this Zucchini Casserole with Ground Beef aligns perfectly with this, serving as one of the top quick dinner recipes that epitomizes easy cooking.
Not only is it a breeze to whip up, but its adaptability makes it one of the best make-ahead dishes you can rely on.
For those who prioritize health without compromising taste, rest assured, as this falls under the category of healthy casseroles.
And if you’re thinking of hosting soon, this dish is a showstopper and fits right into the elite list of dinner party recipes.
Why This Zucchini Casserole is a Must-Try
There are countless recipes out there, but here’s why this particular zucchini and ground beef casserole should be your next dinner choice:
- Hearty Meal: It’s a hearty casserole that can stand alone as a full meal or complement a bigger feast.
- Family-Friendly: A hearty casserole that everyone from toddlers to grandparents will love.
- Budget-Friendly: Ground beef is an affordable meat option, making this a great budget meal for families.
- One Pot Meal: Who doesn’t love an easy recipe that can be whipped up in one pot?
- Hidden Veggies: A brilliant way to get kids to eat their vegetables without any fuss.
- Suitable for Any Occasion: This dish is not only great for family dinner but also stands out as a side dish for a potluck or gathering.
Zucchini Casserole with Ground Beef Ingredients
Here’s a breakdown of each ingredient and why they shine in this casserole.
Every ingredient in this casserole is carefully selected to bring out the best flavors.
- Ground Beef: Adds a savory depth, making the casserole filling and protein-packed.
- Zucchini: Fresh and light, zucchini adds a juicy texture that balances the meatiness of the beef.
- Olive Oil: Gives a rich and smooth texture to the casserole.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup: Acts as a binding agent while adding a creamy, earthy flavor.
- All-Purpose Flour: Helps thicken the sauce, ensuring a well-set casserole.
- Heavy Cream: Elevates the richness of the casserole.
- Onion and Garlic: Essential aromatics that provide a base flavor.
- Italian Seasoning: Lends a herby freshness that complements the rich ingredients.
- Cheddar and Mozzarella Cheese: Melted cheese provides a delightful creamy and cheesy zucchini casserole experience.
- Garlic and Onion Powder: For that extra punch of flavor without adding bulk.
How to Make Zucchini Casserole with Ground Beef
Zucchini Casserole with Ground Beef: Step-by-Step Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Slice the zucchinis evenly and set aside.
- Finely chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- Brown the Beef:
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, sautéing until they become translucent.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning. Cook until the beef is browned completely, breaking it apart with a spatula as it cooks.
- Prepare the Creamy Mixture:
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the condensed cream of mushroom soup, all-purpose flour, and heavy cream until smooth. Ensure there are no lumps.
- Layer the Casserole:
- In a large casserole dish, start by laying out half of the sliced zucchinis.
- Pour half of the creamy mixture over the zucchini layer, spreading evenly.
- Add the browned beef mixture on top.
- Layer the remaining zucchini slices over the beef.
- Pour the remaining creamy mixture on top, ensuring an even spread.
- Add Cheese:
- Sprinkle both the shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Place the casserole dish in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the top becomes golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- Once baked, remove the casserole from the oven and allow it to cool slightly.
- Slice into desired portions and serve warm.
Cook, savor, repeat, and let this Zucchini Casserole with Ground Beef become a favorite in your meal rotation!
For Casserole Lovers
Casseroles have always been a favorite comfort food, combining flavor, nutrition, and simplicity in one dish.
Each recipe brings its unique twist, ensuring you have a new favorite for every week!
Zucchini Casserole with Ground Beef Recipe Variations
Vegetarian Variation: Replace ground beef with a meat substitute or lentils and use a vegetarian cream of mushroom soup.
Seafood Delight: Swap the beef for a mix of shrimp and crab meat for a coastal twist.
Low-Carb Version: Replace all-purpose flour with almond flour or coconut flour, and use a low-carb cream of mushroom alternative.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
Storing and reheating casseroles is a breeze, but there are a few tricks to retain their deliciousness:
- Storage: Once cooled, transfer the casserole into an airtight container or cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap. It can be refrigerated for 3-4 days.
- Freezing: For longer storage, you can freeze the casserole. Before freezing, ensure it’s completely cooled. Wrap it in aluminum foil and then a layer of plastic wrap. It can be frozen for up to 2 months.
- Reheating: For refrigerated casseroles, bake in a preheated oven at 350°F until warmed through. If frozen, it’s best to thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat.
FAQ for Zucchini Casserole
Can I use ground turkey instead of beef?
Absolutely! Ground turkey is a leaner alternative and will work just as well in this hearty casserole.
What can I use in place of cream of mushroom soup?
You can use any creamy condensed soup like cream of chicken or cream of celery. If you want a homemade version, create a roux with butter and flour and mix in mushroom broth and cream.
Can I use other vegetables in this casserole?
Absolutely! Feel free to add or replace with bell peppers, mushrooms, or carrots to enhance the dish.
What cheese variations can I use?
While cheddar and mozzarella are recommended, you can experiment with gouda, pepper jack, or feta for different flavors.
Can this casserole be made vegan?
Yes! Replace ground beef with a vegan meat substitute, use dairy-free cheeses, and opt for a vegan cream of mushroom soup.
Other Recipes to Try!
Discover the ultimate comfort with our Zucchini Casserole with Ground Beef recipe.
Perfect for weeknight dinners and special occasions alike, this hearty, cheesy delight is a surefire way to satisfy cravings and get everyone to love their veggies.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 pounds zucchini sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat Oven: Set your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Sauté Aromatics: In a skillet with olive oil, sauté chopped onion and minced garlic until translucent.
- Brown Beef: Add ground beef to the skillet and cook until no pink remains.
- Mix Ingredients: In a large bowl, combine sliced zucchini, the beef mixture, cream of mushroom soup, heavy cream, all-purpose flour, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix well.
- Layer Casserole: In a greased casserole dish, spread half the mixture. Sprinkle half the cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake: Place in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve: Allow to cool slightly, then slice and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 476Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 93mgSodium 684mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 26g