Honey Fried Chicken! The Ultimate 30-Minute Dinner for Quick Meals and Recipes. Perfect for a Lightly Sweet and Savory quick dinner!
If you’re a fan of lightly sweet and savory dishes that can be whipped up in no time, then this Honey Fried Chicken should be your next go-to easy dinner recipe.
This crispy buttermilk fried chicken is not just another southern fried chicken; it’s a game-changer for any occasion, from family dinners to weekend hangouts with friends.
With the added touch of honey, you get a moist fried chicken that’s irresistibly juicy and flavorful.
Why Honey Fried Chicken is a “Must-Try”
Honey Fried Chicken takes the classic southern fried chicken and elevates it with a sweet twist. Here’s why you need to try this dish:
- Quick and Easy: This is a 30-minute dinner that doesn’t compromise on taste.
- Kid-Friendly: Even the pickiest eaters can’t resist this juicy chicken.
- Budget Meal: High on taste, low on cost—perfect for feeding a crowd without breaking the bank.
- Crispy but Moist: The buttermilk and honey ensure that the chicken is crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.
Honey Fried Chicken Ingredients
(See the recipe card below for full ingredient list with quantities & instructions)
- Chicken Pieces: The star of the dish, providing a juicy and tender bite, legs and thighs.
- Buttermilk: The secret to crispy buttermilk fried chicken, adding tanginess and ensuring moist fried chicken.
- All-Purpose Flour and Cornstarch: These give the chicken its irresistible crispy coating.
- Paprika, Black Pepper, and Dry Mustard: These spices add depth and complexity to the flavor profile.
- Salt: Enhances all the flavors, making them pop.
- Oil for Frying: The medium that transforms the chicken into a crispy delight.
- Honey: The game-changer, adding a lightly sweet and savory touch to the chicken.
Step-By-Step Instructions for Your Honey Fried Chicken
- Preparation: In a bowl, marinate 2 lbs of chicken pieces in 2 cups of buttermilk, along with paprika, black pepper, and salt. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes. (overnight is better)
- Coating: In another bowl, mix 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, and additional seasonings.
- Frying: Heat oil in a frying pan. Coat each buttermilk-soaked chicken piece in the flour mixture and fry until golden brown.
- Glazing: In a separate bowl, warm ½ cup of honey and brush it over the fried chicken pieces.
- Serving: Serve your Honey Fried Chicken hot and enjoy!
Recommendations for Recipe Variations
The beauty of this easy dinner recipe is its adaptability. Here are some exciting twists:
- Spicy Honey Fried Chicken: Add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the honey for a spicy kick.
- Garlic Lovers: Add minced garlic to the buttermilk marinade for an extra layer of flavor.
- Herb-Infused: Add rosemary or thyme to the flour mixture for an herby touch.
Simplified Storage and Reheating
- Fridge: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: Freeze in a sealed container for up to a month.
- Oven: Preheat to 350°F and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Microwave: Heat on medium power in 30-second intervals, checking for warmth.
This crispy buttermilk fried chicken is a modern twist on traditional southern fried chicken, offering a juicy and moist fried chicken experience that’s both kid-friendly and budget-friendly.
Ideal for any easy dinner recipe lineup, this dish is sure to become a family favorite.
Perfect Side Dishes to Pair with Honey Fried Chicken
When it comes to enjoying your Honey Fried Chicken, the sides you choose can elevate your meal to the next level.
Here are some side dishes for fried chicken that perfectly complement the lightly sweet and savory profile of this easy dinner recipe:
Mac and Cheese: Always a hit with the little ones, mac and cheese makes for a creamy and cheesy companion to the crispy chicken.
Cornbread: A slice of warm, buttery cornbread can soak up the honey glaze and add a different kind of sweetness to your meal.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes: For a slightly sweeter side, mashed sweet potatoes seasoned with a touch of cinnamon or nutmeg can beautifully complement the honey in the chicken.
Classic Coleslaw: The creamy and tangy flavors of coleslaw provide a refreshing contrast to the sweetness of the honey-glazed chicken.
What type of oil is best for frying the chicken?
Neutral oils like canola, vegetable, or peanut oil are ideal for frying as they have a high smoke point and won’t interfere with the flavor.
Can I use bone-in chicken pieces for this recipe?
Yes, you can use bone-in chicken, but you’ll need to adjust the cooking time to ensure the chicken is cooked through.
Is there a substitute for buttermilk?
If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make a quick substitute by adding a tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to a cup of regular milk. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes before using.
Other Chicken Recipes to Try!
This Honey Fried Chicken recipe is the ultimate comfort food. A 30-minute dinner that's perfect for quick meals. This easy dinner recipe transforms southern fried chicken into a lightly sweet and savory masterpiece. The crispy buttermilk fried chicken is not only kid-friendly but also a budget meal that doesn't skimp on flavor. With each bite, you'll experience the perfect balance of a crispy exterior and juicy, moist interior. Ideal for any occasion, this Honey Fried Chicken is sure to become a family favorite.
- 2 lbs chicken pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt or less, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Oil for frying
- ½ cup honey
- Marinate: Mix chicken with buttermilk, paprika, pepper, and salt. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Coating: Combine flour, cornstarch, and dry mustard in a separate bowl.
- Dredge: Dip chicken in flour mix, then back in buttermilk, and again in flour mix.
- Rest: Let chicken sit for 15 minutes on a wire rack.
- Fry: Heat oil to 350°F. Fry chicken in batches until golden brown and internal temp reaches 165°F.
- Drain: Place fried chicken on a wire rack to remove excess oil.
- Glaze: Warm honey and brush over fried chicken.
- Season: Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt on the honey-glazed chicken.
- Serve: Enjoy your crispy and moist Honey Fried Chicken!
Tips for Crispy and Moist Honey Fried Chicken
Buttermilk Brine: For the juiciest chicken ever, brine your chicken pieces in buttermilk for at least 4 hours or overnight. The acidity and enzymes in the buttermilk tenderize the chicken, making it moist and flavorful.
Batch Frying: Don't overcrowd the pan. Fry the chicken in batches to ensure that each piece cooks evenly. Overcrowding lowers the oil temperature and can result in soggy chicken.
Cooling Rack Trick: Instead of draining the fried chicken on paper towels, use a wire cooling rack. This allows excess oil to drip away while keeping the crust crispy by preventing steam buildup.
Amount Per Serving Calories 533Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 180mgSodium 823mgCarbohydrates 49gFiber 1gSugar 27gProtein 45g