When it comes to comfort food, few dishes can match the creamy, velvety goodness of mashed sweet potatoes.
Picture this: a forkful of velvety, melt-in-your-mouth mashed sweet potatoes that’s not only a treat for your taste buds but also a hug for your soul.
The ultimate comfort food!
This mashed sweet potato recipe is your golden ticket to a culinary adventure that promises creamy perfection with every bite.
Whether you’re looking for a healthy side dish or a comforting main course, mashed sweet potatoes are here to delight your taste buds and nourish your body.
Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have a secret weapon that not only adds a burst of flavor to your Thanksgiving, holiday spread or any weekday but also frees up your precious time.
Enter these make-ahead mashed sweet potatoes – a game-changing addition to your festive menu that ensures you spend less time stressing and more time celebrating.
Join me as we embark on a culinary journey to discover the perfect sweet potato recipe for this timeless comfort classic.
The Best Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
We all adore the classic marshmallow-topped sweet potatoes, but let’s be honest, sometimes those marshmallows steal the show.
So, this year, let’s shake things up a bit and give mashed sweet potatoes a whirl instead!
Indulge in the richness of butter and heavy cream as they transform these velvety mashed sweet potatoes into a delectable delight, perfectly sweetened to satisfy your cravings.
You won’t even give those marshmallows a second thought.
They don’t stand a chance against this irresistible goodness!
How long to boil sweet potatoes?
Boiling sweet potatoes is a straightforward process that generally takes around 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of the sweet potato cubes.
Tips for boiling sweet potatoes:
- To save time, you can cut the sweet potatoes into smaller pieces before boiling.
- Be cautious not to overcook the sweet potatoes, as they can become mushy and lose their flavor.
Do I need to peel my sweet potatoes before boiling them?
While it is not absolutely necessary to peel sweet potatoes before boiling them, doing so has its advantages. Peeled sweet potatoes tend to cook faster due to the removal of the skin, which can act as a barrier to heat. This means you can save precious time, especially during busy holiday preparations like Thanksgiving.
Ingredients you’ll need
(See the recipe card below for full ingredient list with quantities & instructions)
- Sweet potatoes
- Unsalted butter
- Heavy cream
- Salt and black pepper
- Optional toppings: chopped fresh chives
How to make sweet potatoes
Preparation: Start by peeling the sweet potatoes and cutting them into uniform cubes. This will ensure fast even cooking.
Boiling: Place the cubed sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover them with cold water. Add a pinch of salt to the water. Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat and let the sweet potatoes cook until they are fork-tender, about 15-20 minutes.
Draining: Once the sweet potatoes are tender, drain them in a colander and return them to the pot.
Mashing: Using a potato masher or a fork, begin mashing the sweet potatoes until they reach your desired consistency. For a smoother texture, you can use a hand mixer or a food processor.
Creamy Goodness: Add the butter and heavy cream to the mashed sweet potatoes. Mix well until the butter is melted and the mixture is creamy. Adjust the amount of cream to achieve your preferred level of creaminess.
Seasoning: Season the mashed sweet potatoes with salt and black pepper. Feel free to add other seasonings like nutmeg or cinnamon for an extra layer of flavor.
Serve: Transfer the creamy mashed sweet potatoes to a serving dish. Garnish with your choice of toppings, such as chopped fresh chives, toasted nuts, or a sprinkle of cinnamon.
These mashed sweet potatoes are a delightful fusion of flavor and nutrition that brings comfort to every bite.
This versatile dish ready in under 30 minutes can be served as a side dish to complement savory mains or take center stage as a wholesome vegetarian option.
With its creamy texture and heartwarming taste, mashed sweet potatoes are a true testament to the magic that can be created in the kitchen.
Other Side Dishes to Try!
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Candied Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Sausage and Sweet Potato Stuffing
These mashed sweet potatoes are creamy and velvety-smooth, with a hint of sweetness that brings comfort to every bite. A delicate balance of butter and heavy cream give this classic side dish an irresistible richness.
Perfect for holiday dinners or everyday meals and ready in 30 minutes, these mashed sweet potatoes are sure to become a favorite.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional toppings: chopped fresh chives
Boil the Sweet Potatoes:
- Place the peeled and cubed sweet potatoes in a large pot.
- Cover the sweet potatoes with cold water, ensuring they are fully submerged.
- Add a pinch of salt to the water for seasoning.
- Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook the sweet potatoes until they are fork-tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the sweet potatoes in a colander.
Mash the Sweet Potatoes:
- Return the drained sweet potatoes to the pot.
- Add the unsalted butter to the pot.
- Use a potato masher or fork to mash the sweet potatoes and butter together until smooth and creamy.
Add Cream and Seasoning:
- Pour in the heavy cream and continue mashing until well combined and the mixture reaches your desired creamy consistency.
- Season the mashed sweet potatoes with salt and black pepper. Adjust the seasoning to your taste preferences.
Serve with Chive Topping:
- Transfer the creamy mashed sweet potatoes to a serving dish.
- Sprinkle the chopped fresh chives over the top as an optional flavorful and colorful garnish.
- Serve the creamy mashed sweet potatoes as a delightful side dish to complement your main course.
- Watch as the creamy texture and rich flavors make this dish an instant favorite at your table.
- Whether you're preparing for a special holiday feast or simply craving a comforting side, these creamy mashed sweet potatoes with a touch of chive topping will add a burst of flavor and elegance to your meal. Get ready to savor every spoonful of this delectable creation!
Amount Per Serving Calories 113Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 16mgSodium 238mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 2g