Looking for a homemade and hearty meal that’s both a crowd-pleaser and a kid-friendly delight?
Dive into the world of Mexican Cornbread Casserole, a traditional Mexican dish with a Tex-Mex twist.
Perfect as a weeknight dinner or a special family dinner, this dinner casserole is not just a budget meal but also a quick and easy recipe that will satisfy every cornbread lover out there.
Whether you’re in the mood for a spicy kick or a milder taste, this versatile dish can be tailored to your liking.
And if you’re into meal prep, you’ll be thrilled to know that this is an ideal freezer meal.
So, if you’re searching for the ultimate comfort food that’s both delicious and economical, you’ve hit the jackpot.
Let’s embark on this flavorful journey and discover why the Mexican Cornbread Casserole is a beloved favorite for many!
Why This Mexican Cornbread Casserole is a Must-Try
If you’ve been on the hunt for the perfect dish that seamlessly transitions from a hearty family dinner to a delightful brunch, look no further.
The Mexican Cornbread Casserole is not just another dinner casserole; it’s an experience waiting to be savored.
- Budget-Friendly: A delicious meal doesn’t have to break the bank, and this casserole is proof.
- Easy Recipe: No need for culinary expertise; this dish is straightforward and hassle-free.
- Comfort Food at Its Best: Every bite is a warm hug of flavors, making it the ultimate comfort dish.
- Crowd-Pleaser: Its rich flavors and textures are sure to win over any gathering, big or small.
Ingredients for Mexican Cornbread Casserole
Lean Ground Beef: The foundation of our casserole. It provides a hearty texture and rich flavor, making it a staple in many comfort food dishes.
Eggs: They bind the ingredients together, ensuring that our casserole has the perfect consistency.
Cream-style Corn: This adds a creamy texture and a hint of sweetness, complementing the savory flavors.
Milk: Helps in achieving the right consistency for the batter and adds a touch of richness.
Oil: Ensures our cornbread is moist and tender.
Cornmeal: The star of the show! It gives our casserole that authentic cornbread taste and texture.
All-purpose Flour: Helps in giving structure to our cornbread layer.
Baking Powder: Makes our cornbread rise and become fluffy.
Salt: Enhances all the flavors, making them pop.
Shredded Cheddar Cheese: Brings a creamy, tangy flavor and a delightful gooey texture.
Onion: Adds a touch of aromatic sweetness.
Jalapeño Peppers: For those who like a kick! They bring heat and a fresh, green flavor.
How to Make The Best Mexican Cornbread Casserole
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the lean ground beef and chopped onion until the beef is browned and the onion is translucent. Drain any excess fat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream-style corn, milk, and vegetable oil until well combined.
- In another bowl, combine the cornmeal, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add this dry mixture to the wet mixture, stirring until no lumps remain.
- Fold in half of the shredded Cheddar cheese, ensuring it’s evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Gently stir in the cooked ground beef and onion mixture, along with the chopped jalapeno peppers. This will infuse the casserole with a delightful kick of flavor.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, spreading it evenly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded Cheddar cheese over the top, creating a luscious, cheesy layer that will melt to perfection during baking.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the casserole from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve the Mexican Cornbread Casserole warm, cutting it into generous squares. The combination of savory flavors and creamy textures will surely delight your taste buds.
For Casserole Lovers
If you’re among the ranks of casserole aficionados, get ready to embark on a culinary journey like no other.
As we delve into the world of the Mexican Cornbread Casserole, we’ll also uncover the tantalizing secrets of the beloved Sweet Potato and Sausage Casserole.
And let’s not forget the morning delight that is the Sausage Breakfast Casserole.
From savory to sweet, from brunch to dinner, these recipes promise to satisfy your cravings for both comfort and creativity.
Variations for Mexican Cornbread Casserole
- Vegan Dream: Omit the ground beef and cheese. Use a vegan cheese substitute and add a mix of black beans, kidney beans, and diced bell peppers. Ensure you use a plant-based milk and egg substitute like flaxseed or chia seed “egg.”
- Breakfast Casserole: Add cooked and crumbled breakfast sausage, diced bell peppers, and perhaps even some cooked diced potatoes. Consider using pepper jack cheese for an extra kick.
- Mediterranean Twist: Swap the ground beef for ground lamb, add some chopped olives, feta cheese, and perhaps a sprinkle of za’atar or dried oregano for a Mediterranean flair.
- BBQ Fusion: Mix in some BBQ sauce with the ground beef as it cooks. Add a layer of caramelized onions and perhaps even some cooked bacon bits for a smoky, tangy twist.
- Tex-Mex Style: Add a can of drained and rinsed black beans, some diced tomatoes (canned or fresh), and a sprinkle of cumin and chili powder to the beef mixture. Top with a mix of cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: Place leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Reheating: Warm in a preheated oven at 350°F until heated through or microwave on medium power.
FAQ: Quick Answers for Your Mexican Cornbread Casserole Questions
Can I use ground chicken or turkey instead of beef?
Yes! Both ground chicken and turkey are excellent lean meat alternatives. They blend seamlessly with the casserole’s flavors, offering a different protein twist.
Is this recipe gluten-free?
No, due to the all-purpose flour. For a gluten-free version, swap with a gluten-free flour blend. Ensure it has a binding agent like xanthan gum for best results.
Can I make this ahead of time?
For those planning meals for events or trying to meal prep, knowing how far in advance a dish can be made and how it should be stored is essential.
Are there alternatives to jalapeños for a non-spicy version?
Absolutely! Consider using bell peppers, diced green chilies, or even roasted red peppers for a touch of mildness and a different flavor dimension.
Other Casserole Recipes to Try
Indulge in the ultimate comfort of Mexican Cornbread Casserole.
A satisfying dinner casserole that's budget-friendly, easy to make, and bursting with savory flavors.
This family-favorite comfort food combines lean ground beef, cream-style corn, and gooey Cheddar cheese, creating a mouthwatering dish that's perfect for a cozy family dinner or even a brunch gathering.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (14 oz) cream-style corn
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups (16 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef and chopped onion until the beef is browned and the onion is translucent. Drain any excess fat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, cream-style corn, milk, vegetable oil, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until smooth.
- Stir in half of the shredded Cheddar cheese, followed by the cooked beef and onion mixture, and chopped jalapenos.
- Pour the mixture into a greased baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool for a few minutes, then serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 570Total Fat 37gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 24gCholesterol 151mgSodium 667mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 32g