Sweet Potatoes and Apples Maple Cinnamon is your ultimate fall side dish, blending flavor and simplicity seamlessly.
The Perfect Family Friendly Recipe with a Healthy Twist for Your Thanksgiving Dinner
If you are on the lookout for an easy-to-make, family-friendly potato recipe that adds a healthy and flavorful twist to your Thanksgiving dinner, then this this stovetop sweet potatoes and apples recipe is for you.
With its basic ingredients and straightforward preparation, Maple Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes & Apples is not just a delightful addition to any holiday meal but also a wholesome option that caters to a variety of dietary preferences.
If you’re a fan of flavorful, easy recipes, then this sweet potatoes apple bake is your new go-to fall side dish.
With basic ingredients and easy prep, this dish is a must-try for those who love combining simplicity with flavor.
Why Maple Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes & Apples is a “Must-Try”
This dish takes the already delightful combination of sweet potatoes and apples and elevates it with a hint of maple cinnamon, making it a standout addition to your holiday menu.
Here’s why you need to try it:
- Effortless Cooking: With easy prep and basic ingredients, this dish is simple to prepare, leaving you more time to enjoy the festivities.
- Healthy and Adaptable: Whether it’s a paleo, vegetarian, dairy-free, or gluten-free requirement, this dish fits every dietary preference and is a healthy side dish, allowing everyone to enjoy without compromise.
- Family Friendly: This dish is a crowd-pleaser, with its sweet and savory flavors appealing to both adults and children, making it a versatile and family-friendly recipe for any gathering.
- Perfect for Every Occasion: Its adaptability and universally pleasing flavors make it a suitable dish for Thanksgiving dinner and various holiday meals, ensuring it has a place on every holiday menu.
Sweet Potatoes and Apples Maple Cinnamon Ingredients
(See the recipe card below for full ingredient list with quantities & instructions)
- Sweet Potatoes: The hearty base of the dish, adding a creamy texture and sweet flavor.
- Apples: Providing a crisp contrast and a burst of freshness to the dish.
- Butter: Adds a layer of richness and depth to the overall flavor profile.
- Cinnamon and Ground Nutmeg: These spices impart a warm and aromatic flavor, making the dish truly fall-appropriate.
- Maple Syrup: Drizzled over the top, it adds a hint of sweetness and a touch of autumn to the dish.
- Salt: Balances the sweetness and enhances the overall flavor of the dish.
Step-By-Step Instructions for Your Sweet Potatoes and Apples Maple Cinnamon
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes and apples.
- Season sweet potatoes with half of the mixture of cinnamon, ground nutmeg, salt, and half of the maple syrup.
- Season apples with the remaining spices and maple syrup.
Cooking Sweet Potatoes:
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add seasoned sweet potatoes; cover and simmer on medium-low, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften (about 10-15 minutes).
- Mix in seasoned apples; continue to cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until apples are soft and sweet potatoes are tender (about another 7-10 minutes).
- Adjust seasoning and maple if needed and serve warm.
Sweet Potatoes & Apple Bake Recipe Variations
Variety is the spice of life, and when it comes to Sweet Potatoes and Apples Maple Cinnamon, the possibilities for variations are plentiful.
Here are some exciting twists you can add to the original recipe:
- For a Crunchy Twist: Mix in some toasted pecans, walnuts, or almonds for added texture and a nutty flavor.
- Savory and Sweet: Add crumbled cooked bacon or pancetta for a savory contrast to the sweet elements of the dish.
- Savory Delight: Incorporate caramelized onions and roasted garlic into the dish for a deeper, savory flavor profile.
Simplified Storage and Reheating
- Storage: Seal in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Reheating Options: Reheat in an oven until warmed through or microwave in a suitable container.
Which type of apple variety should I use?
Absolutely, the choice of apple variety can impact the flavor profile of the dish. For a sweeter profile, you can use Fuji or Honeycrisp apples. If you prefer a more tart flavor, Granny Smith apples are an excellent choice. It’s all about personal preference!
Do you peel sweet potatoes before roasting?
Yes, it is generally recommended to peel sweet potatoes before roasting to ensure a smoother texture, but if you prefer, you can leave the skins on for a more rustic feel and added nutritional value.
Do you peel apples before roasting?
Peeling apples is optional and depends on personal preference. If you prefer a softer texture, you can peel the apples. However, leaving the skin on provides additional texture and nutrients to the dish.
Can I make these Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Apples ahead of time?
Certainly! You can prepare and roast the Sweet Potatoes and Apples Maple Cinnamon ahead of time and then reheat them in the oven or on the stovetop before serving. This can save you time and reduce stress on the day of your event or gathering.
Other Side Dishes to Try!
Sweet Potatoes and Apples Maple Cinnamon is a harmonious blend of autumn flavors, combining the creamy sweetness of sweet potatoes with the crisp freshness of apples, all accentuated by a hint of maple and a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg. This dish is a celebration of fall, offering a symphony of flavors and textures, making it a perfect, wholesome addition to any holiday meal or a cozy family dinner.
- (450g) 4 medium potatoes, diced
- (450g) 4 apples Granny Smith apples, diced
- (15g) 1 tablespoon butter
- (5g) 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- (1g) 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- (45g) 3 tbsp maple syrup
Peel and dice sweet potatoes and apples.
Season sweet potatoes with half of the mixture of cinnamon, ground nutmeg, salt, and half of the maple syrup.
Season apples with the remaining spices and maple syrup.
- Cooking Sweet Potatoes:
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
Add seasoned sweet potatoes; cover and simmer on medium-low, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften (about 10-15 minutes).
- Adding Apples:
Mix in seasoned apples; continue to cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until apples are soft and sweet potatoes are tender (about another 7-10 minutes).
Adjust seasoning and maple if needed and serve warm.
- Uniform Cutting: Ensure sweet potatoes and apples are cut into uniform sizes for even cooking and consistent texture.
- Use Fresh: Opt for fresh, firm sweet potatoes and apples for optimal flavor.
Amount Per Serving Calories 225Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 5mgSodium 29mgCarbohydrates 51gFiber 6gSugar 22gProtein 3g