Indulge in a flavorful Caribbean adventure with this Instant Pot Rasta Pasta!
This delightful fusion of jerk chicken, sautéed bell peppers, and creamy pasta will take your taste buds on a vibrant journey.
With its bold and flavors, all slow-cooked to perfection, this budget-friendly dish promises a satisfying and effortless dining experience.
Get ready to savor the taste of the Caribbean in every mouthwatering bite!
As you lift the lid of your Instant pot, the enticing aroma of jerk seasoning fills the air, hinting at the explosion of flavors awaiting you.
The tender and juicy chicken melds perfectly with the creamy pasta, while the sautéed bell peppers add a burst of color and texture that complements the dish beautifully.
This budget-friendly meal not only delights your taste buds but also offers the convenience of minimal preparation and a satisfyingly easy clean-up.
The convenience of the Instant pot ensures minimal effort, making it an ideal go-to for busy weeknights or when hosting gatherings with friends and family.
So, gather your ingredients, fire up your instant pot, and let the magic unfold in your kitchen!
Why You’ll Love This Instant Pot Rasta Pasta
Rasta Pasta is an absolute reader’s favorite pasta recipe that never fails to impress with its vibrant flavors and Caribbean flair.
This Instant Pot version of the beloved Rasta Pasta recipe brings all the delightful elements of the traditional dish but with the added convenience of pressure cooking.
Set It and Forget It:
The beauty of this dish lies in its simplicity. With the help of your trusty instant pot, you can have a mouthwatering dinner waiting for you after a busy day.
Just toss in the chicken, bell peppers, jerk seasoning, and a few other ingredients, set the pressure cooker to work its magic, and let it slow-cook to perfection.
In no time, your kitchen will be filled with the irresistible aroma of Caribbean spices.
Rasta Pasta with jerk chicken is incredibly versatile when it comes to the ingredients.
If you’re on a tight budget, you can easily adjust this instant pot recipe by using frozen or seasonal vegetables, which tend to be more budget-friendly than their fresh counterparts.
You can also explore affordable variations, such as substituting chicken with beans or chickpeas for a pocket-friendly vegetarian twist.
Make in Batches for Meal Prep:
Instant pot meals are known for their generous portions, making them perfect for batch cooking.
By preparing larger quantities, you can enjoy delicious leftovers for meal prep days, cutting down on the need to dine out or order takeout.
This approach will undoubtedly help you save money while still indulging in the scrumptious flavors of the Caribbean.
Ingredients You’ll Need
(See the recipe card below for full ingredient list with quantities & instructions)
- Chicken breasts
- Red pepper
- Tomato sauce
- Green onions
- Jerk seasoning
- Chicken stock
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Rasta Pasta with Jerk Chicken in the Instant Pot
Step 1: Set your Instant Pot to the “Sauté” function and heat the oil. Once hot, add the chicken pieces and sear them for about 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly browned. This step will lock in the juices and enhance the flavor of the chicken.
Step 2: Add the sliced red pepper, green onions, and minced garlic to the Instant Pot. Sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
Step 3: Stir in the jerk seasoning, coating the chicken and vegetables evenly. Let the spices infuse the ingredients for about 1 minute, releasing their aromatic flavors.
Step 4: Pour in the chicken stock, and tomato sauce using it to deglaze the bottom of the Instant Pot by scraping any browned bits with a wooden spoon. This step ensures maximum flavor incorporation into the sauce.
Step 5: Cancel the “Sauté” function and add the pasta to the pot, ensuring it is submerged in the liquid.
Step 6: Secure the Instant Pot lid and set the valve to “Sealing.” Select the “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” setting and adjust the time to 5 minutes for al dente pasta or 6 minutes for softer pasta.
Step 7: Once the cooking cycle is complete, perform a quick pressure release by carefully turning the valve to “Venting.”
Step 8: Open the Instant Pot lid, and stir in the heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. The residual heat will thicken the sauce as you stir, creating a creamy and luscious coating for the pasta.
Step 9: Serve your delectable Instant Pot Rasta Pasta hot, garnishing it with additional Parmesan cheese and chopped green onions, if desired. Enjoy the explosion of Caribbean flavors with every mouthwatering bite!
This Instant Pot Rasta Pasta with the searing feature to cook the chicken ensures that you achieve a quick and flavorful meal, bringing the vibrant tastes of the Caribbean right to your dinner table.
Rasta Pasta Variations
These variations offer exciting alternatives to the classic Rasta Pasta, allowing you to customize the dish according to your taste preferences and dietary choices.
Whether you prefer seafood, vegetables, or a touch of Cajun flair, these variations ensure a delicious and diverse culinary experience!
- Replace the chicken breasts with peeled and deveined shrimp for a mouthwatering seafood twist. Sauté the shrimp in oil and garlic until pink, then set them aside. Follow the same recipe as the original, and once the pasta is cooked in the sauce, add the cooked shrimp back in. The combination of succulent shrimp and jerk seasoning creates a delightful and vibrant dish.
- For a vegetarian version, omit the chicken and add a variety of colorful vegetables. Use mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, and any other veggies you love. Sauté the vegetables in oil until tender, then proceed with the recipe as usual. The jerk seasoning and creamy sauce will beautifully coat the veggies, creating a satisfying and hearty vegetarian meal.
- Cajun Rasta Pasta:
- Infuse your Rasta Pasta with the bold flavors of Cajun seasoning. While keeping the chicken in the recipe, coat it in Cajun seasoning before searing. Proceed with the rest of the recipe, using the Cajun-seasoned chicken along with the rest of the ingredients. The combination of Caribbean jerk seasoning and Cajun spice blend will add a delightful fusion of flavors to your pasta.
Most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Rasta Pasta:
Can I make Rasta Pasta ahead of time?
Yes, you can! Rasta Pasta is a great dish to make ahead of time. You can prepare it a day in advance, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and reheat it when ready to serve. The flavors often meld together even better after some resting time.
What type of pasta works best for Rasta Pasta?
You have flexibility in choosing the type of pasta for Rasta Pasta. Penne, fusilli, farfalle (bowtie), or any short pasta shape will work well. The choice comes down to personal preference and what you have available in your pantry.
Can I use a different protein instead of chicken?
Certainly! While chicken is traditional, you can use other proteins to suit your dietary preferences. Shrimp, tofu, or even a mix of different beans can be great alternatives to chicken in Rasta Pasta.
Is Rasta Pasta a spicy dish?
Rasta Pasta does have a spicy element due to the jerk seasoning, but the level of spiciness can be controlled based on your taste preferences. If you’re sensitive to spice, you can reduce the amount of jerk seasoning or opt for a milder version.
Can I make Rasta Pasta without cream for a lighter version?
Yes, if you prefer a lighter low calorie version, you can use alternatives to heavy cream, such as coconut milk or a lighter cream. These options will provide a different flavor profile while maintaining the creaminess of the dish.
Can I freeze leftover Rasta Pasta?
Yes, you can freeze leftover Rasta Pasta. Allow the dish to cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. It should last in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
Can I make Rasta Pasta gluten-free?
Yes, you can easily make Rasta Pasta gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta. Check the jerk seasoning and other ingredients to ensure they are also gluten-free if needed.
Other Pasta Recipes to Try!
Instant Pot Rasta Pasta! This quick and easy recipe combines tender chicken, sautéed bell peppers, and creamy pasta, all infused with the aromatic spices of jerk seasoning. A great option for midweek dinners or if you're looking for a budget-friendly meal. Ready in just minutes!
- 16 oz pasta (penne, fusilli, or your choice)
- 1 lb chicken breasts, diced
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive oil or vegetable oil)
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons jerk seasoning (adjust to your spice preference)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Set the Instant Pot to the "Sauté" function. Add the oil and allow it to heat up.
2. Sear the diced chicken in the Instant Pot for 2-3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. In the same Instant Pot, add the sliced red pepper, green pepper, and green onions. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until the vegetables soften slightly.
4. Stir in the minced garlic and jerk seasoning, and cook for an additional 1 minute until the aroma of the seasoning is released.
5. Add the chicken stock and 1 can tomato sauce to the Instant Pot, using it to deglaze the bottom to ensure no bits are stuck.
6. Add the pasta. Mix everything well, making sure the pasta is submerged in the liquid.
7. Close the Instant Pot with the lid and set the valve to the sealing position. Cancel the "Sauté" function and select the "Manual" or "Pressure Cook" setting. Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes.
8. Once the cooking cycle is complete, do a quick release by carefully turning the valve to release the pressure. Be cautious of the hot steam.
9. Carefully open the Instant Pot, and stir in the heavy cream and grated Parmesan cheese until well combined. Let it simmer for a few minutes on the "Sauté" function if you desire a thicker sauce.
10. Taste and adjust seasoning with additional salt, pepper, or jerk seasoning, according to your taste preferences.
11. Serve the Instant Pot Rasta Pasta hot, garnished with some chopped green onions and additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 491Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 117mgSodium 392mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 33g