Few dishes are as simple, satisfying, and versatile as Spaghetti Pomodoro.
This dish of pasta with a tomato sauce is perfect for a quick and easy meal any time of day.
And while the basic ingredients are few and simple, there are endless ways to customize this dish to your own taste.
Whether you prefer your pasta with a little bit of spice or a lot, with fresh vegetables or without, this dish can be tailored to your liking.
This particular recipe for spaghetti pomodoro is my go-to when I’m in the mood for a quick and easy meal.
It comes together in just about 30 minutes, and can be easily doubled or tripled to feed a crowd.
So, whether you’re cooking for one or feeding a family, I hope you’ll give this pasta dish a try.
It just might become your new favorite, too.
Ingredients for Spaghetti Pomodoro:
- Spaghetti: I like to use a thicker spaghetti for this dish, such as spaghetti #8. If you look at the boxes of pasta in your supermarket you will notice that each pasta is assigned a number. The higher the number the thicker the pasta.
- Tomatoes: I prefer to use diced can tomatoes. If you are using fresh tomatoes, I would recommend peeling them before using.
- Garlic: I always use fresh garlic, but if you don’t have any on hand you could substitute with garlic powder.
- Olive oil: You could also use vegetable oil, but olive oil has a better flavor.
- Basil leaves: This is my favorite herb to use with tomatoes, but feel free to experiment with other herbs such as oregano or thyme.
- Onion: I like to use a white or yellow onion, but you could also use a red onion.
- Sugar: Just a little bit of sugar helps to balance out the acidity of the tomatoes. I find that 1 teaspoon is usually enough, but you can add more or less to taste.
- Parsley: This is optional, but I like to add a little bit of chopped parsley for color and flavor.
- Salt: Salt always brings out the flavor of food, so don’t be afraid to add a little bit. I would start with 1/2 teaspoon and then add more to taste. As always sea salt is my
- Pepper: I like to use freshly ground black pepper, but you could also use pre-ground pepper.
- Parmesan cheese: I love to grate my own Parmesan cheese, but you could also use the pre-grated cheese that you can buy at the grocery store.
Directions to Make the Best Spaghetti Pomodoro
- Start by cooking the spaghetti according to the package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Then add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes, sugar, salt, and pepper to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook until the pasta is ready.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and add it to the skillet with the sauce.
- Stir in the chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately and garnish with fresh basil and parmesan.
Simple Spaghetti Pomodoro
Spaghetti pomodoro is also known as spaghetti sauce, pasta sauce, or tomato sauce.
The most important ingredient in spaghetti pomodoro is the tomatoes.
This dish is made with few ingredients and is simple to make.
Quick and easy meal the entire family will love, It will became a family favorite.
The perfect weeknight dinner recipe!
What is Spaghetti Pomodoro?
Spaghetti pomodoro is a type of Italian pasta that is made with tomatoes, garlic, and olive oil. It is often served with a side of bread or salad.
This dish is perfect for a quick and easy meal any time of day.
And while the basic ingredients are few and simple, the flavor is anything but.
In fact, this dish is so flavorful and delicious that it has become one of my family’s favorite pasta dishes.
The great thing about spaghetti pomodoro is that it can be made with fresh or canned tomatoes.
It is a simple dish that can be made quickly and easily.
I hope you’ll give this dish a try!
Spaghetti Pomodoro Recipe Variations
- Chicken Pomodoro Pasta: Pan cook the chicken breasts and then add them to the pasta.
- Shrimp Pomodoro Pasta: Season the shrimp with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Then cook in a pan until pink. Add to the pasta.
- Vegetarian Pomodoro Pasta: Add extra vegetables such as mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli florets or bell peppers.
Spaghetti Pomodoro Tips and Tricks
There are a few things that you can do to make your spaghetti pomodoro even better.
- The first thing you need to do is to cook the pasta al dente. This means that the pasta should be cooked, but still firm to the bite. If you overcook the pasta, it will become mushy and will not hold up well in the sauce.
- Use the best quality ingredients that you can afford. This will make a big difference in the flavor of the dish.
- If you have time, let the sauce simmer for a while so that the flavors can meld together. This will make a big difference in the flavor of the dish.
- Use fresh basil if you can find it. It really does make a difference in the flavor of the dish.
- Use freshly grated Parmesan cheese. The pre-grated cheese that you can buy at the store just doesn’t taste as good.
- Season the sauce to your taste. Some people like their sauce to be more acidic, while others prefer it to be more sweet. It is a matter of personal preference. Start with the suggested amount of sugar and then add more to taste.
- The sauce can also be made ahead of time and reheated when you’re ready to serve.
This pasta pomodoro recipe can be doubled or tripled easily. Just make sure that you have a large enough pot to accommodate the increased amount of pasta.
Simple Spaghetti Pomodoro Recipe
This spaghetti pomodoro is perfect for a quick and easy meal any time of day. Pasta with tomato sauce the perfect weeknight dinner recipe!
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, sugar, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Drain the spaghetti and add it to the saucepan with the tomato sauce. Toss to combine. Stir in chopped parsley
- Serve with the basil and Parmesan cheese.
The sauce can also be made ahead of time and reheated when you're ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 250Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 7mgSodium 371mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 7g
More Pasta Recipes
- Shrimp Garlic Lemon Pasta: A simple and delicious pasta dish made with shrimp, garlic, lemon, and parsley.
- Spaghetti and meat sauce: A hearty and filling pasta dish made with ground beef, tomatoes, and a variety of spices.
- Weight Watchers Pasta Recipes: These Weight Watchers Pasta Recipes gives you a delicious and satisfying way to stay on track with your weight loss goals.