Are you ready to make the perfect red velvet cupcakes?
This recipe is guaranteed to tantalize your taste buds and have everyone asking for seconds.
Not only is this cupcake absolutely delicious, it’s also easy to make.
These easy to make from scratch cupcakes are a classic treat that never goes out of style.
These moist and fluffy cakes have a beautiful red hue, topped with a creamy white frosting.
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, so why not surprise your special someone with something extra sweet?
Red velvet cupcakes are the perfect treat to show your loved one just how much you care.
Whether you’re making them for someone special or just to indulge your own sweet tooth, these homemade cupcakes will be sure to make your valentine’s day extra special.
What Makes Red Velvet Cupcakes Special?
There are so many reasons why red velvet cupcakes are such a classic dessert.
Firstly, their bright color makes them stand out among other desserts.
Not only do they look beautiful, but the deep red hue is also very symbolic of love and passion—perfect for Valentine’s Day!
The flavor of red velvet cupcakes is also unique and delicious.
The combination of cocoa powder and cream cheese frosting creates an unforgettable taste experience.
Finally, these cupcakes are incredibly easy to make, meaning that even those who don’t have much baking experience can still whip up something special for their loved one.
Butter vs. Oil in Red Velvet Cupcake Recipes
One of the most important factors in creating the perfect red velvet cupcake is choosing the right ingredients.
When it comes to fat, there are two main options: butter or oil.
Butter gives the cakes a rich flavor and a light, airy texture while oil gives them a slightly denser texture but still yields moist results.
Whichever fat you choose will depend on personal preference as both can be used successfully when baking red velvet cupcakes.
Red Velvet Cupcakes Ingredients
- All purpose flour: I like to use all-purpose flour to create a light and fluffy texture.
- Granulated sugar: This will give your cupcakes the right amount of sweetness.
- Cocoa powder: Using cocoa powder in red velvet cupcake recipes gives them more complexity. I use unsweetened cocoa powder for the best results.
- Baking Soda and Baking Powder: This helps to make your cupcakes rise properly.
- Salt: A little salt will help to enhance the flavors of all the other ingredients in your batter.
- Butter: As mentioned above, you can use either butter or oil in red velvet cupcake recipes. I prefer to use butter for its flavor and texture benefits.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk helps to give your cupcakes a rich, creamy texture while also adding tanginess.
- Red food coloring: The key ingredient for giving your cupcakes that signature red hue.
- Vanilla extract: This will add a bit of flavor to you cupcake and also help accentuate the cocoa powder.
- Eggs: The eggs will help bind all the ingredients together and give your cupcakes structure.
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- Cream cheese: This is the main ingredient for your frosting and will give it a delicious tanginess.
- Butter: Use room temperature butter to create a smooth, creamy texture for your frosting.
- Confectioner’s sugar: You’ll need confectioner’s sugar to help sweeten the frosting.
- Vanilla extract: The same as in the cupcake batter, this will add flavor and help bring out all the other ingredients.
Once you’ve gathered all your ingredients and preheated your oven, it’s time to start baking!
How To Make The red Velvet Cupcakes
- Begin by creaming together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Then mix in the cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Next, alternate adding in the buttermilk and flour until everything is evenly combined.
- Lastly, add in your red food coloring and vanilla extract and mix until everything is blended.
- Transfer the batter to your muffin tin, filling each cup about two-thirds full, and bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once finished baking, let them cool completely before frosting.
To Make The Cream Cheese Frosting
- Start by creaming together the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Next, add in the confectioner’s sugar and cream together for about three minutes.
- Finally, mix in the vanilla extract until everything is completely combined.
More dessert recipes
Most Asked Questions About Red Velvet Cupcakes
If you are curious about red velvet cupcakes, the history, or how to make them, here are some answers to the frequently asked questions.
What is red velvet cupcakes made of?
At its most basic, red velvet cake is just a chocolate cake with a few special ingredients added in.
Cocoa powder gives the cake its deep chocolate flavor, while buttermilk add a subtle tanginess.
In addition, the traditional recipe calls for an ingredient called “red food dye” that gives the cake its signature vibrant red hue.
Are red velvet cupcakes just chocolate?
No! While there is cocoa powder in the cake mix which adds a hint of chocolate flavor to the cupcake, it is not nearly enough to be considered a chocolate cake.
Instead of overpowering chocolate flavor, you get a subtle and unique taste that sets these cakes apart from regular cupcakes.
What makes red velvet cake different?
One thing that makes red velvet cake stand out from other cakes is its traditional cream cheese frosting.
This sweet topping pairs perfectly with the dense texture of the cake itself and really brings out its unique flavor profile.
What is the difference between a red velvet cupcake and a regular cupcake?
The biggest difference between a red velvet cupcake and a regular cupcake is in the taste.
The combination of cocoa powder, buttermilk, give red velvet cakes an unmistakable flavor that can’t be duplicated in other types of cupcakes.
In addition, the bright red color of these cakes also sets them apart from other types of desserts and makes them an eye-catching treat for any occasion.
This red velvet cupcake recipe is guaranteed to tantalize your taste buds and have everyone asking for seconds. Not only is this cupcake absolutely delicious, it's also easy to make.
Ingredients for Cupcakes
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese softened
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 3-4 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions for cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set aside until needed.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside until needed.
- In a separate large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Add in eggs one at a time and mix until fully combined.
- Add in the red food coloring and mix until fully combined.
- Pour half of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Slowly pour in the buttermilk and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the remaining dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 cupcake liners and bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
Instructions for cream cheese frosting
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time until desired sweetness is reached.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix until fully combined.
- Frost cooled cupcakes as desired and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 363Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 35mgSodium 80mgCarbohydrates 58gFiber 1gSugar 80gProtein 3g
There’s no denying that red velvet cupcakes are delicious and they make such a romantic gesture on Valentine’s Day!
Not only do these little treats look amazing but they also taste great too thanks to their unique blend of cocoa powder and tangy cream cheese frosting.
So if you’re looking for an extra special way to show someone you care this holiday season try making some red velvet cupcakes at home!
You won’t regret it!