Making a delicious dinner on those evenings when you’re craving comfort food is super easy with this one pan Italian sausage gnocchi recipe!
This creamy gnocchi with sausage recipe is an easy, quick, and incredibly delicious comfort food meal made all in one pan. It’s ready in just under 30 minutes!
This creamy gnocchi with sausage recipe is so good!
It’s super easy, quick, and since is made all in one pan cleaning is a breeze!
You won’t believe how delicious and comforting it is.
What makes this Italian sausage gnocchi recipe so irresistible?
You won’t be able to resist the charm of this Italian sausage gnocchi recipe!
It’s got that perfect balance of restaurant-quality taste and easy-to-make convenience.
The flavors of the Italian sausage meld beautifully with the soft and pillowy gnocchi, all smothered in a creamy, indulgent sauce that warms you up from the inside out.
And the best part? It’s a one-pan wonder, making cooking a breeze and cleanup a cinch.
This recipe is like a cozy Italian bistro experience right in your own home – no fuss, just pure comfort and deliciousness!
Ingredients you’ll need for this one pan meal
These ingredients come together to create a culinary masterpiece that’s all about the balance of flavors and textures.
From the boldness of the sausage to the creamy elegance of the sauce, and the aromatic notes of garlic and basil, each part adds its own special touch to this irresistible, one-pan meal that you won’t forget anytime soon.
- Italian Sausage: The heartbeat of this dish, Italian sausage imparts a savory and zesty punch. Its blend of spices and seasonings infuses the dish with a hearty and robust taste that harmonizes beautifully with the other elements.
- Onion: Finely diced onion serves as the aromatic base, subtly sweetening and mellowing as it cooks. It lays the foundation for a rich flavor profile, playing a crucial role in building depth and balance in the sauce.
- Garlic: Freshly chopped or minced garlic, known for its aromatic intensity, adds a signature note to the dish. It creates a fragrant and appetizing undertone that enhances the overall savory character.
- White Wine: Dry white wine introduces a touch of sophistication, providing acidity and complexity to the sauce. As it simmers and reduces, the wine infuses the dish with subtle notes that elevate the flavors.
- Tomato Sauce: The tomato passata (passata di pomodoro) or sauce forms the heart of the dish, delivering a burst of vibrant tomato flavor and a velvety texture. It acts as the canvas upon which the other flavors intermingle, resulting in a well-rounded and satisfying sauce.
- Heavy Cream: This ingredient adds an indulgent and luxurious creaminess to the sauce. It not only contributes to the dish’s rich texture but also helps to balance the acidity of the tomatoes, creating a harmonious taste profile.
- Gnocchi: The star of the show, these tender potato dumplings provide a pillowy bite that soaks up the flavors of the sauce. Cooking them directly in the pan ensures they absorb the essence of the dish, making every mouthful a delight.
- Parmesan Cheese: Freshly grated Parmesan adds a salty, nutty, and umami-rich layer that elevates the dish’s overall depth. Its delicate melt-in-your-mouth quality enhances the taste experience and contributes to the dish’s irresistible allure.
- Basil: Fresh basil leaves provide a burst of herbal freshness, infusing the meal with a bright and aromatic finish. Their vibrant green color adds visual appeal while their delicate flavor complements the other ingredients.
How to make creamy sausage gnocchi
Step 1: Sauté Onion and Sausage
Place a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
Add the finely chopped onion to the skillet.
Cook the onion for about 2-3 minutes, until it becomes translucent.
Crumble the Italian sausage and add it to the skillet with the onion.
Cook the sausage, breaking it apart with a spatula, until it’s browned and cooked through. This should take about 5-6 minutes.
Step 2: Add Garlic and Herbs and Deglaze with White Wine
Stir in the minced garlic and cook for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
Add any dried herbs you like (optional), such as oregano, thyme, or basil. Mix well.
Pour in the dry white wine to deglaze the pan.
Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any flavorful bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet.
Allow the wine to simmer and reduce for about 2-3 minutes.
Step 3: Add Tomato Sauce and cream
Pour in the tomato sauce (passata) and stir everything together.
Let the sauce come to a gentle simmer.
Lower the heat to medium-low.
Pour in the heavy cream, stirring to combine it with the sauce.
Step 4: Cook Gnocchi
Add the uncooked potato gnocchi directly to the skillet, distributing them evenly in the sauce.
Cover the skillet and let the gnocchi cook in the sauce for about 4-5 minutes. They will plump up and become tender.
Step 5: Finish with Cheese and Basil, Season and Serve
Once the gnocchi are cooked, remove the skillet from heat.
Stir in the freshly grated Parmesan cheese, allowing it to melt into the sauce.
Add a handful of chopped fresh basil and gently mix to incorporate.
Taste the dish and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Serve the creamy one pan Italian sausage gnocchi in bowls, garnished with extra Parmesan cheese and basil, if desired.
Can I make this Italian sausage gnocchi recipe vegan?
Absolutely, making this One pan Italian Sausage Gnocchi Recipe Vegan is pretty simple.
It can be made vegan without compromising on its mouth-watering flavors.
- Sausage: Substitute the Italian sausage with vegan sausage. There are a variety of plant-based sausages available in the market that deliver the same hearty and robust flavor.
- Heavy Cream: Replace the heavy cream with a vegan alternative. Options can include coconut cream or any plant-based cream available in your local grocery store.
- Parmesan Cheese: Vegan parmesan cheese is an easy swap here. You can find varieties made from cashews, almond flour, or other plant-based ingredients.
- Gnocchi: Be sure to choose vegan gnocchi. Some brands may contain eggs or dairy, so read labels carefully. Alternatively, you could make your own vegan gnocchi at home.
By making these substitutions, you can still enjoy a vegan version of this satisfying and comforting Italian sausage gnocchi dish.
Enjoy your vegan comfort treat that is easy to make and still gives you that restaurant-quality taste!
Do I need to cook the gnocchi first?
No, you don’t! The great thing about this recipe is that the gnocchi cooks directly in the sauce. In fact, the starch released from the gnocchi plays a crucial role in the sauce.
Leftovers and Storage
- Let leftovers cool before storing.
- Use an airtight container and refrigerate within 2 hours (1 hour if it’s hot).
- Label with the date.
- Reheat gently on the stove or in the microwave with a bit of cream or broth.
- Eat within 3-4 days for best quality.
- Freezing may change texture; eat frozen leftovers within 1-2 months.
- Thaw frozen leftovers in the fridge before reheating.
Enjoy your meal again, but keep it safe and tasty!
Other Easy Recipes to Try!
Discover the joy of making One Pan Creamy Gnocchi with Sausage at home. A hearty and comforting dish, perfect for any weekday or special occasion, filled with the robust flavors of Italian sausage, garlic, fresh basil, and parmesan cheese. Easy to make, and ready in 20 minutes.
- 1 pound uncooked potato gnocchi
- 16 ounces Italian sausage
- 1/2 small onion chopped finely
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup tomato sauce (passata di pomodoro)
- 3/4 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Handful fresh basil chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, sauté until translucent.
- Crumble Italian sausage into skillet, cook until browned.
- Stir in minced garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in white wine, let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, let it gently simmer.
- Lower heat, pour in heavy cream, stir well.
- Add uncooked gnocchi, ensure they're in the sauce.
- Cover skillet, let gnocchi cook for 5-7 minutes until tender.
- Stir in half of grated parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle chopped basil on top.
- Serve in bowls, add remaining parmesan on each portion.
- Enjoy your simple and delicious Italian sausage gnocchi!
This recipe offers versatility and options for different dietary preferences.
- You can choose any type of sausage and either store-bought or homemade gnocchi.
- Vegetarian and vegan alternatives are provided, and the sauce can be customized for a lighter or dairy-free option.
- Leftovers can be stored for a few days, and it can be enjoyed as a standalone meal or paired with a salad or bread for a complete Italian feast.
Amount Per Serving Calories 849Total Fat 55gSaturated Fat 24gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 32gCholesterol 135mgSodium 1460mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 4gSugar 8gProtein 32g